Thursday, October 27, 2005

Partially-Proven Prognostication

So I was right....sort of. Bush dumped Miers last night and it went public this morning. This is no doubt a sign of the weakness of the Bush White House. But naming a new nominee is a chance to garner support.

Mr. Bush's problem is that he thinks that if he names a conservative Christian Supreme Court nominee, it will help him. It won't. Bush's base is only 20% of the population and they won't abandon him once the indictments come down the pike. They are there to the bitter end because they have no choice in the matter. What will they do, support Hillary? But Bush needs more than the base on his side right now. He needs the independents and independents hate hate hate corruption. Bush needs to name a nominee with the excellent credentials of a Roberts and the appeal of an O'Connor.

In short: He needs Alberto Gonzales. The A.G. is well-credentialed but is not viewed as an ideologue. Josh, I know you'll disagree with my suggestion because of the torture issue, but a Supreme Court justice will makes waves long after Bush's War is written of as a sad footnote in history.

But Mr. Bush doesn't see any of this. That's why, mark my words, he'll nominate Janice Rogers Brown. He's thinking: "She's a woman AND she's black! How can I lose?!" But lose he will. Nominating a hardcore conservative will cost the Republicans everything. And I'm okay with that.

No comments: