Monday, October 17, 2005

Miller & Plame

There's been a lot of blogosphere (God I hate that word) coverage on the Judy Miller article in the Sunday NY Times. While I think what Judy Miller did and who she talked to are important issues, I think they're much more important for the grand jury investigating the case than the American public.

Of course Miller's role in the Plame Affair is important, but my problem with the whole thing of late has been what my problem has been since before the last election -- the media loves nothing more than reporting on the media. Pay close enough attention to nearly any news report and you'll notice exactly how fine the line is between reporters reporting and reporter's reporting about themselves reporting.

In the days after Hurricane Katrina, I saw more news stories about how reporters managed to report in such dire conditions than I did about why Americans had died in the streets. Process stories detract from the public debate about real, honest-to-God issues that affect people's lives. And since there's no such thing as bad publicity, I'm not convinced Judy Miller didn't go to jail just to get her $1.72 million book deal out of it. All indications seems to be that Scooter Libby released her from any confidentiality agreements months ago.

Please note: It physically pains me to call a grown man Scooter like he's a fucking Muppet Baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are blogging on reporters reporting on reporting. I'm a reporter, and I think I might like to report on you blogging on reporters reporting on reporters. Please contact me with a photo, preferably nude.