Sunday, October 23, 2005

It's a good thing

I concur that any indictments will probably be ancillary in nature, given the difficulty in satisfying most of the terrorism and treason-type crimes. But couldn't Fitzgerald start off with giving the Martha Stewart* to, say, Libby and other Oval Office roustabouts, then cranking up the heat to nail some bigger fish? That's the way a lot of Justice Department investigations seem to go, such as the anti-Mafia crusade: when minor officials in Buddy Cianci's Providence, R.I. mayoral fiefdom (codenamed "Plunderdome." Never say the FBI doesn't have a sense of humor.) began to get indicted, a political science professor of mine predicted pretty confidently that Cianci would go to jail based on information traded by the lower hirelings. The President's talent for loyal crony-picking is about to be tested, in my mostly worthless internet opinion.

That posted, I'd like to take a moment to giggle about something Eagle-related and humorous in the Washington Post today:
"[Miers] is the only one whose entire career is in private practice," Hutchison said, in contrast to the current justices. "I can't imagine not having someone with practical real-world experience."
The other justices aside, I can't remember the last time someone asserted that three years as an associate and ten years as a partner at Hogan & Hartson wasn't "practical, real-world experience." If Kay Bailey Hutchinson had dared to say that to John Roberts during his confirmation hearings, he would have Force-choked her. She certainly doesn't seem to feel that "practical, real-world experience" is a necessary prerequisite for her job as, say, Chairman of the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Subcommittee. Bah humbug.

*A neologism! Probably should be shortened to "Martha," as in, "Libby got Martha'd," or "I will Martha your ass until you cough up Cheney, Karl."

No comments: