Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My answer to the question and why won't the Republicans let me stop thinking about torture?

Republicans are so full of shit because they're political opportunists. So are Democrats. In the 80s, the independent prosecutor was in their benefit, and they backed it. In the 90s, not so much. I'm sure you can think of better examples than that. Note: I'm only replying to the specific instance you raise, Gus, of Kay Bailey Hutchison's comments on the Plame Affair. I happen to agree that in general Republicans are more shit-filled than Democrats. It comes with the cynicism and the power.

As for the second part of my post, auugggggggggggh! Torture is bad, wrong, and counterproductive. It's un-American. So let's endeavor by laws, regulations, and decision-making culture, not to do it. Seems simple to me! (Kudos to Bob Herbert of the Times, now behind the TimesSelect wall, and to the Village Voice's Nat Hentoff for continuing to beat the drum on the issue. This may be the first time I've praised the Voice, but it definitely deserves it, as well as for its other muckracking projects, especially locally.)

Also, "auugggggggggggh" and "beat the drum" indicate to me that I need to go to sleep--I'm brushing dangerously close to bad torture jokes.

No comments: