Less than 20 minutes before the TWU decides whether to go on strike. Of course, last time it opted to have a partial strike and extended the deadline. I don't think it'll be able to do that again. It'd lose all its credibility (and I don't think it has any other workers who could go on strike without triggering the Taylor Law's fines against public employees who strike). I won some money last week betting at work about whether there'd be a strike on Friday (no!), and I figured that meant the MTA and TWU had bought themselves some time to settle on a contract--a face-saving device on both sides. It looks like I'm going to be wrong. This could be pretty awful. Both sides are taking very hard lines. I wonder if they've managed to avoid backing themselves into corners, and I have vague fears that a strike'll go on for a while, then the MTA'll break the union, like Reagan did the air traffic controllers. Regardless, I'm going to work tomorrow (but the Christmas party'll be canceled if there's a strike).
Also, I have received law school admissions news. NYU accepted me, and UVA emailed me to tell me to go to its website to check my status. The website told me a decision was in the mail. I guess I'd better start researching schools to figure out which I'd like to attend. Bleh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment