Sunday, December 11, 2005

Do as I say, not as I do doesn't work

Lies lies lies!

It's more of the same--lies abroad, lies at home. These people just don't learn.

They believe in expediency, little else. Torture is expedient--supported. Paying reporters to make your case is expedient--supported. Controlling foreign media outlets is expedient--supported. The WMD argument for war in Iraq was expedient--supported. The WMD argument for war in Iraq is shown to be false; it's no longer expedient--not supported. Social security, Christmas, national security are all wedge issues, therefore expedient to winning elections--supported. Withdrawing from Iraq while saying you're not withdrawing from Iraq, that's really expedient--supported.

And it's really sad--they know what they should be doing:

One of the first queries, Mr. Limbaugh said, was "How do you balance justice and truth and objectivity?"

His reply: report the truth, don't hide any opinions or "interest in the outcome of events." Tell "people who you are," he said, and "they'll respect your credibility." [From the NYT article.]

But actually doing right and being honest, that's hard--not supported.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've known that for a while: remember that NYT article you posted in 2004 of an interview with an unnamed Bush Administration official to the effect that the administration could create its own reality? And now, the consequences.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, that's a way of looking at it that I'd never thought of. I just figured they were nasty lazy cynics, but if they believe their lazy easy way will work, simply because they say it will, they're more naive and stupid than I thought. Regardless, it comes to the same thing--the consequences.

And, sure, we know that. Do you think they'll ever catch on? I don't.