Monday, February 06, 2006

Who Watches the Watchmen?

Congressional hearings begin today concerning the illegal program of spying on American citizens (Sorry, George. I'm still not calling it the Terrorist Surveillance Program. Why? Cuz fuck you, that's why.)

While I think it's terrific that Congress is looking into the matter, I think we all know that the likely result from these hearings is....well, nothing. Nothing will happen. No articles of impeachment, no law will be passed clearly outlawing this behavior. This is a purely political exercise for a group of Senators. I find that deeply disturbing. A democratic government that cannot summon the will act to correct itself is impotent and will only slip deeper into decay.

But, hopefully I'm wrong and this will lead to some actual steps being taken to restore civil liberties. Maybe at the least, the words "George Bush" and "spying on Americans" will be used enough times in the mainstream media to galvanize the population against this disgusting, McCarthyistic, un-American program.

No comments: