If you watched the Senate Judiciary Committee's recent hearings on government surveillance limitations (or lack thereof), you might have found yourself more than a little distressed by Alberto Gonzalez's lack of interest in anything resembling an actual defense of the legality of the government's actions. To me, the attorney general resembled nothing so much as an apathetic middle-schooler forced to play soccer in third-period gym. There sat the attorney general, content to squat on the turf and watch his classmates kick goal after goal into the net behind him, content in the knowledge that sooner or later his mother would retrieve him for PBJs and cartoons, and the lopsided score would be nowhere recorded in the annals of history.
Quite apart from any actual defense of the Bush Administration's actions, it's this serene apathy and what it might take to disturb the calm that is the most recent cause of my concern. So I thought I'd ask you the following questions, because I can't figure them out:
1) Do you share my assessment of the Attorney General's performance, and, more generally, the Bush Administration?
2) If yes, is there anything one can do about it other than put your head between your knees and hope someone, anyone, shows a flicker of life in 2006? I'm specifically looking for concrete contributions. More volunteerism? More advocacy? More monetary contributions to opposition parties? I know I'm drawing a blank.
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
1) Yes. Good god, yes. Others express it so much better than I could, but I wholeheartedly agree.
2) Ah, the $64,000 question! For 2006, I'm not convinced there's so much to be done--yeah, your standard advocate, contribute, and vote. Raise a ruckus and don't let yourself be outshouted by lies. A bit longer term, pump out viable policy ideas and political strategies. Also, don't let the judicial branch be taken over by ideologues who put politics over the Constitution.
Also, don't let the judicial branch be taken over by ideologues who put politics over the Constitution.
Too goddamn late.
Oops. I have odd hopes for Roberts, not so much for Alito, and not so much for other judges.
Post a Comment