Law school--the process of getting in, getting through, and getting out--seems to suck. I'm getting acquainted with the first get, and I've heard random people talking on the street about the second get. I feel like all these admissions/jobs processes have gotten a lot more formalized over time, especially of late. (And I usually reject claims of historical change!) While the previous systems (rich connected people get in) were unacceptable, this isn't so great either. It tends to promote hypercompetitiveness (nice word), the evil eye, and the general hostility you note. Oh, and also the obscene overwork you describe. (Hey, it'll be over soon for you! And you're not going to do the law firm thing, right?) My parents say they a) could finish the reading in law school, a feat they couldn't achieve in college or b) didn't go to all their classes. (Vague memories, may not be fully accurate.) That sounds a hell of a lot better.
But I plan on continuing to avoid caffeine and, as much as possible, jerks. I think I can manage the first, likely more trouble with the second. Does the political/corporate/money-grubbing tool quotient increase over from college? I have an awful suspicion, based mostly on some logical inferences and a bit of anecdotal evidence gathered from first-hand observation, that this will be the case. (Short version: It makes sense that those people would go to law school/enter i-banking*, and I hung out recently with some law students and they were pleasant enough, but not inspiring.**)
----------------------
* Ok, I'm an asshole. I lived with and very much liked some people who fit those descriptions. The difference of course is that I got to know them. And they were definitely out-tooled by the total tools I didn't tool around with.
** Similar issue as in note *. That is, it's pretty unfair to judge someone based on meeting them for 2 hours. Well, tough shit. They were nice, but didn't strike me as my type of people, whatever that means.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment