Ah, the perils of getting wrapped up in other things. I'm driving down to Wise County, VA today in order to conduct some post-conviction jury interviews. Should be interesting. It's four hours or so from where I am now... intentionally the middle of nowhere, because that's where they built their supermax security prison. Good ol' Red Onion.
Yeah, the new background... I can't get the text to stop pixelating, so that's what we're stuck with for now. Alas, I don't think different transparencies will yield significant change. I figured the subject matter was more or less in line with most of the things we talk about here.
Jack Handey--no idea. He, or whatever consortium writes him, was on Saturday Night Live for quite some time. I'm a big fan of Jack Handey's Deep Thoughts.
Diplomacy: I'm interested to see how they conduct the negotiation phase. Just IM-style chatting? You're right, 3-D is useless. In fact, I actually liked the original pieces: the more they attempt to make the pieces actually resemble things, the more acutely I'm made aware of the graphical shortcomings. The other way, I can sort of pretend I'm in some sort of Prussian staff college or something. I hope they haven't just made it something like Civilization: the Aztecs and Germans are always aggressive, etc., etc.
Re: formalization. Abraham Lincoln never went to law school. I find that the political/corporate/money-grubbing tool quotient definitely increases from college. Face it, you have to have some sort of ambition (generally speaking) to apply to law school and have the academics to get in, so all the slackers (good and bad) are gone. That leaves people predisposed to be type-A, achiever personalities. Just don't get drawn in to the insane and pointless hierarchy that develops and that many law students buy into, in my experience. As one of my professors once said, by definition, 85% of your class cannot be in the top 15%. You'll find some good people, and will probably be able to ignore the rest of them quite handily. Except when they say pretentious things in class.
Okay, off to Wise County. Hopefully at some point I'll find my camera cord and we can get some pictures up.
Friday, September 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment