1) The NY bar exam is an evil vampire that is about to eat my soul over the next two months. If I'm lucky. 2) In the moments I spare from weeping tears of blood on the pages of the BarBri books, I would like to register an opinion on the hubbub surrounding the recent release of the DaVinci code: I don't see what the big deal is. I'm usually not on the side of historical revisionists, but I don't see that anyone aside from a few crackpots is really going to get their theology from a Hollywood movie. Is revisionism still revisionism when nobody really believes it? Like the sound of a tree falling in the forest, it seems to me that nobody really cares.
Furthermore, even if Dan Brown's particular allegations regarding suppression conspiracies by the Catholic church are actually true, there's no way they amount to as much bloodshed as, say, documentable instances of actual Catholic repression of schismatic faiths.* I suppose The Hussite Wars is more of a sci-fi movie title. All I'm saying is that if you rest the foundations of a faith, any faith, on the saintly nature of its priests and professors, you will inevitably be disappointed. Defending the Catholic Church on the basis of the DaVinci Code therefore seems like wasted effort at best.
*Tho' it seems to me Dan Brown may actually have referenced the Cathars--anyone want to correct me?
No comments:
Post a Comment