Wednesday, April 05, 2006

new hero


Russ Feingold got saucy with the Democratic Party today and came out. In favor of gay marriage, of course. This instantly made him my new hero, because the more I learn of Feingold, the more he seems like the liberal's version of John McCain - incredibly principled, vocal, and a diligent legislator.

He's clearly choosing a different strategy than Hillary Clinton to pave the way to the White House. I wonder which is better? Will Feingold come off as a man of principles, or as a hippy? Will Clinton come off as a soulless political sellout robot, or as a moderate? As far as this voter is concerned...gay rights are important to me. On the other hand, as a feminist I used to admire Clinton.

Is gay marriage the most important gay rights issue out there? I don't think so. Still my family values and my heart both skip for joy when I think of Russ Feingold, out there, fighting to help the two ladies pictured above make honest women of each other. At this point, I think I'm officially over Clinton and onto Feingold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing interesting things about Russ Feingold. I will also note that Senator Feingold was the only senator to vote against the USA PATRIOT act in 2001, and against the authorization for the use of military force in Iraq.