Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Moe Berg is my second favorite baseball player

On inventive Seder doings in the Washington Post today:
The Seder, or ritual storytelling meal, has traditionally been a serious two-night event, with readings, prayers and multiple symbolic dishes. But the kits aim to keep it simple and entertaining, with place mats based on the TV drama "CSI" (in this case: Creative Seder Initiative), turning participants into "investigators" of the millennia-old exodus story. The kits also include recipes, wine, matzoh and a song booklet with ditties such as "Take Us Out of Egypt," sung to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
H'm. I can't decide whether I think this is a step forward or backward for humankind and religious culture. On the one hand, I feel like one shouldn't have to hold a "Dinner and a Murder" event to celebrate deliverance from bondage and a covenant with the Almighty. On the other hand, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is a pretty good tune.

Call it a wash. Play ball!

No comments: