Take, for instance, the following quote, which I very much like. It's from the Tolstoy biography (p. 263), an excerpt from a letter O'Brian wrote in 1970 from Austria to his wife, with whom he was having some problems.
Sometimes you have said that I do not speak clearly, and it is true: I distrust words and I value indirection too highly. But I will say this as directly as can be--if you think my writing worth a straw, do not keep me in this state.
I love the change of direction. He writes very honestly, openly, and directly--for the first sentence. But the second sentence, which he touts as direct, seems to me to be missing the point! Why not say, "But I will say this as directly as can be--if you love me, if you value me, do not keep me in this state"? That seems "as direct[] as can be." Of course, I'm not an author. I don't live for my craft. I don't know if he went to Austria to write. I don't know if, though I doubt it, she valued him only as an author, not as, you know, her husband. It just seems strangely off.
And, in that way, it is extremely true to O'Brian.
2 comments:
His stepson is named what now?
Interesting to me, if perhaps obvious in hindsight, that the same almost ethereal politesse that characterized long passages of his writing in the Aubrey-Maturin series carried over into his personal letters. I see what you mean--you can see Stephen writing that note rather easily.
He's not a direct descendant of Leo.
I completely agree with you when you say you could see Stephen writing the note. And, the more you learn about O'Brian's actually life and outlook, the more similar the two of them look.
Post a Comment