"The composition of [Obama's] vote remains the same," said a Clinton aide. "He didn't resolve the issues that have dogged him, namely his ability to expand his base beyond African-American votes and liberal rich eggheads." (Slate)
Okay, you know what--the hell with you guys too. When did it become safe for a Democratic candidate to knock liberalism and education? I just waded through eight years of this rhetorical cesspit and I am tired, do you understand me?
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Seriously. I'll happily vote for either of them. I have already voted happily for both of them.
Still, the Clinton people have been extremely effective at making Obama more sympathetic and appealing to me. They've consistently been over the top, inconsistent in their arguments, rabid, and pandering.
It's impressive because there's plenty about Obama's message that I don't much like. I think his unity theme is a naive pipe dream. I think he has had a pretty free ride in the media (the Rev. Wright stuff notwithstanding). I don't think he's as clean and pure as he portrays himself, and I fear what might come out later on.
But, my god, there's such a thing as pushing too far, and Clinton supporters (doubtless feeling that the Obama side's done much the same thing) have done that.
If Senator Clinton were to somehow bend time and space and become the Democratic nominee, and I lived in a swing state, I would vote for Clinton as well. The consequences of a Republican candidate don't bear thinking on. I think you're right when you note that Senator Clinton's spokespeople have often been her own worst enemy. But the concerns I had before about the Clinton campaign (mismanaged, in money trouble, willing to overplay cheap shots, dogged by occasional convenient "Rashomon" moments) are magnified by this latest anti-intellectual break with, I suppose, "economists" as a whole and the "egghead, latte-swilling" elite. Jon Stewart on the Daily Show last night actually had a picture of Senator Clinton morph into a picture of President Bush, so I'm not the only one drawing the analogy.
Post a Comment