Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chroni-(what)-cles of Narnia

Saw Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian last night. Very good, if somewhat depressing. The Narnians take a lot of casualties fending off Telmarine attack, and seeing fauns and other noble woodland creatures slaughtered by a treacherous and vaguely Spanish Conquistador humanity was, embarrassingly, somewhat distressing for me. Some changes in plot were obviously necessary, but they're minor and by and large make for a more dramatic movie. The changes don't approach anywhere near some ham-handed edits to LOTR that I can remember. Sadly, Peter Dinklage's Narnian accent comes and goes a bit. Reepicheep the Mouse steals the entire goddamn movie. I would watch an entire movie starring Reepicheep the Mouse. Fortunately that movie is Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which I hope should be arriving in a couple years. The movie also provides an excellent lesson (without spoiling too much) in certain principles of commando raiding. (Highlight for spoiler: specifically, the necessity to have the courage to know when to cut your losses and call the damn thing off. Protip: not when Peter finally does it in the movie.)

No comments: