From the NYT:
Cynthia Ruccia, 55, a sales director for Mary Kay cosmetics in Columbus, Ohio, is organizing a group, Clinton Supporters Count Too, of mostly women in swing states who plan to campaign against Mr. Obama in November. “We, the most loyal constituency, are being told to sit down, shut up and get to the back of the bus,” she said. (NYT)
I'm sorry, but would you mind defining what the words "most loyal constituency" mean to you?
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I was about to post the exact same quote. My take: Welcome to the land of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Also, I found the back of the bus line strange. I'm not sure exactly how--something about the implicit comparison of Obama to the segregationist South of the 1950s rubs me the wrong way.
Yeah--in these articles I often see an ugly undercurrent of a competition to claim the mantle of Most Discriminated Against. On the subject of cutting off your nose to spite your face--have you seen this New Yorker article? It'll be a sad day if an ideologically bankrupt conservativism manages to split yet another liberal coalition for one more electoral victory. But I can't say it won't happen, sadly.
Yeah, in fact, I just read it. I'm a few steps behind you. (For example, I have now completed 2 years of law school. You have been out of law school for 2 years.)
The West Virginians' comments about Obama in that article were, I don't know, insane? Par for the course? I honestly can't tell in this country anymore.
Well, you'll always be first in gentlemanly club life. Boola boola!
I share your confusion about the West Virginians. What I tell myself is that the portion of the people that Abraham Lincoln believed you could fool all of the time appears to be around 20-30% of the population, and concentrated in certain regions of the country.
Post a Comment