The European Union on Thursday criticized Israel for “the disproportionate use of force” in Lebanon “in response to attacks by Hezbollah on Israel,” according to a statement issued by the union’s current Finnish presidency.Setting aside for the moment my ignorance of whether anyone engaged in a low-intensity guerrilla conflict has the right to have only "proportionate force" used against him, as Tracy astutely pointed out, the term is nigh-meaningless. If Israel strikes Lebanon, and one person is killed, I'm sure the dead individual would characterize the use of force as entirely disproportionate. But what is proportionate? If Hezbollah raids an Israeli border post, killing five and capturing two, must Israel then limit itself to five Lebanese casualties, with an option on taking two hostages? Is a power plant and an airport runway a fair trade for three Israeli captives? This is the sort of problem that legal scholars in the remedies field have struggled with for generations; and the type of problem where the system of damages begins to show its ragged edges. These are situations where money damages are insufficient to fairly recompense the plaintiff (at least from the plaintiff's perspective) and are not particularly amenable to standardless, on-the-fly adjustment by pronouncements such as "proportionate force".* That's not a practical standard: that's an opinion, and its usefulness and credibility must thereby be of limited usefulness.
*At least, not when a statement could be translated much more efficiently as "I, the Finnish president of the European Union, believe that Israel uses too much force. But then again, when I go home, I go back to Finland." I wonder what he'd have thought proportionate force was during the Winter War.
2 comments:
The Times' analysis of the word and its (lack of?) meaning evolves more into a discussion of the one fundamental fact: Shit is fucked up there.
Okay, apparently that last post didn't take. In sum: I agree, and propose that all sane people tired of this shit should move to Mars.
It'll be a rough existence, and inevitably some of us will give birth to jerks with the urge to take hostages and detonate themselves, and the cycle will begin all over again. But it'll have been fun while it lasted.
This could be our flag, which is the most important part of any new republic.
Post a Comment