Sunday, July 16, 2006

I just don't know what to do with myself

No job (as of 7/13), nothing to do during the week, but plenty to do during the weekends, which puts a damper on any plans to go anywhere far. So, what should I do in and around the New York area, preferably accessible by public transportation?

I hope you don't take this as my throwing my idleness in your faces, for I realize you're probably, well, swamped. Perhaps our legions of readers can help me out?

Also, it's really hot here, and, in the interests of doing something, I went to Coney Island this afternoon, just to walk around on a hot summer afternoon. What I learned: People should not be wearing the bare minimum of clothing that society deems appropriate, no matter where they are. It made me glad at times that I have less than perfect vision (to accompany my absolutely perfect physique). Oh, but it was definitely a neat, if not especially cooler than Manhattan, experience.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given that you'll be attending law school in the near future, might I suggest that you get started studying for the bar so that three years from now you don't feel the crushing weight of everything you've struggled your entire life to achieve laid out bare in front you in one awesome test that measures everything you are as a person, strips your ability naked in front of your friends, and leaves you an empty shell of a human being with nothing interesting to talk about besides the Rule Against Perpetuities.

Or not. Maybe just catch a show.

Anonymous said...

Start studying for the bar exam now. it will save you so much grief.

Or did you read this NYT article? I bet that's entertaining.

Cloister trip? I haven't been up there in a while.

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like consensus has been achieved.

BTW, timestamps notwithstanding, the magic of e-mail comment moderation ensured that I was entirely ignorant of Gus's response before writing mine.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you should get out on the streets of New York and find a smoking hot date to bring to our wedding. Preferably one who knows all about the Rule Against Perpetuities.

Anonymous said...

I was out on the streets/boardwalks of New York. They were smoking hot; the people, not so much.

Anonymous said...

Staten Island Booze Cruise!

Last summer a friend and I went back and forth on the ferry about three times. $2 or $2.50 bottles of beer, cheapest in the city! That friend also once worked in Connecticut, and his favorite time of the week was the friday afternoon commute when Metro North had a bar car. There's something about public transport that just makes me want to party.

Also:

1. Rockaways are better than Coney Island. But Brighton Beach has the best concentration of old Russian men in Speedos. Of course if you're truly adventurous, Jacob Riis Park at the tip of the Rockaways is a partly nude beach, as it is under federal jurisdiction, and there are no federal laws compelling the wearing of clothing (or so I've read). But if you're into women, don't get too excited, the nude contingent is mostly gay men. Then just a few hundred yards down it fills with families. All of which have their own stereos.

2. Ellis Island (have not done it, but a friend/family member is producing a spot for CNN involving immigration and suggests I check it out). No time now, but maybe next year.

Just a couple of thoughts.