Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Paying our debts

I just watched this Bill Moyers interview with Professor Andrew Bacevich on the challenges facing America as we move further into the 21st century. Pretty sobering stuff. I agree with his essential premise that the American people are addicted to cheap consumer goods and energy, and won't stop consuming absent leadership of a type we're not likely to see until after our debts come due.

As you watch this interview with Professor Bacevich, I feel it lends extra weight to his testimony to bear in mind that this is a man who recently suffered the loss of his son, 1LT Andrew J. Bacevich. 1LT Bacevich was killed by an IED south of Samarra, Iraq in just the sort of haphazard war of empire his father criticizes.

1 comment:

BDK said...

"American people are addicted to cheap consumer goods and energy, and won't stop consuming absent leadership of a type we're not likely to see until after our debts come due."

Or consumer goods and energy become less cheap. No leadership necessary, just better markets. In fact, leaders usually distort markets, often subsidizing energy and credit to get votes.