But I'll be damned if I know what the US should do. Military response is impossible for at least 3 reasons. 1) My understanding is that we don't have troops to send. 2) Our standing in the world isn't so high, so I don't think we can get people to send troops. And, most importantly, 3) You don't mess around with a nuclear-armed country--Russia. And Russia can get away with (assuming the target of the aggression doesn't pull a Poland or Afghanistan...hey!) being bellicose as long as it has these weapons because it's not worth intervening in a fight.
A few other thoughts.
- This shows, yet again, the bankruptcy of the Bush administration. There's no morally coherent reason that we aren't intervening here, but continue to crow the benefits of democracy and seek to impose it. In fact, this is pretty damn despicable--we're unable to back up our friends. If we couldn't back them up when they're caught, should we have tightened ties so much? It's a tough question, but, regardless, we look bad.
- I loathe the McCain campaign.
- Pandering to Christian wackjobs who view everything as a holy war? Check: "[We should care about Georgia in part because it] is . . . one of the world’s first nations to adopt Christianity as an official religion."
- Being hypocritical by doing what he attacked Obama for doing--trying to act "presidential"? Check: "I urge the NATO allies to revisit the decision." (emphasis added).
- Note that in keeping with the way the McCain campaign operates, I'm ignoring the substance of what he said and, instead, taking isolated sentences and focusing entirely on surface issues.
1 comment:
I should really find a better way to be notified when you post, because this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking, expressed in a deeper, clearer manner than I was going to do it. Just to add today's double dose of irony to the Bush Administration's heaping pile, did you catch today's CNN quote? "President Bush on Friday chided Russia for Cold War-style behavior, saying, "Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century."" So watch out, Russia! Unbelievable.
Post a Comment