There are a lot of reasons that I oppose Senator McCain's candidacy for President of the United States. One of them, however, is more personal than the others:
"I hate the gooks," McCain said yesterday in response to a question from reporters aboard his campaign bus. "I will hate them as long as I live." (San Francisco Chronicle)
Of course, Senator McCain apologized within the week, vowing never to use the term again. This presents one with the sort of entertaining "lesser evil" dichotomy only to be found in politics and, perhaps, video game reviews. Either Senator McCain is able to overcome his supposedly deep-laid hatred of "gooks" in a mere three days, in which case it must not have been that deeply laid to begin with, or he is lying. He is either a liar or an opportunistic racist: choose one.
It is entirely understandable for a victim of torture to hate his torturers. However, I cannot support the same person, harboring that kind of virulent racial hatred, for the office of President of the United States. Others seem to have entirely forgotten this incident. I have not.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment