Thursday, December 07, 2006

!!!


I note that Peter Jackson is producing a remake of the 1954 film Dambusters, which covers an interesting segment of the Royal Air Force's night bombing campaign against Germany during the Second World War. As you can see at right, it's not difficult to imagine why events such as low-level attacks on the Mohne, Eder, and Sorpe dams to flood low-lying areas of Germany using specially-developed bouncing bombs might lend themselves to production as a movie. As one of the first military history books I ever read was the basis for the movie (including my favorite aircrew nickname ever [Edit: that would be Henry "Dinghy" Young, not Gibson's inappropriately named dog]), and as one of my current favorite military history books is the related The Nuremberg Raid, I'm pretty excited to see anything involving Peter Jackson and the history of RAF Bomber Command. Me, that is, and about five other people posting on www.wargamer.com. If this one's three and a half hours long, I won't mind a bit.

No comments: