Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Avery Lane Gewurztraminer

From the Columbia Valley in Washington State comes a taste of Alsace-Lorraine! I tried the 2005 Gewurztraminer from Avery Lane when I got home from work at 10:30 pm tonight, making this a 13.5 hour day. This type of arrival home usually calls for a scotch and a quick shower before bed. Being far from Edradour, however, I popped open a bottle of wine that was chilling in the fridge.

The gewurztraminer is lively, effervescent, and astonishingly tart. A floral bouquet, but it's hard to tell because I'm sitting next to vase of fresh lilacs. There is an initial sharpness in the structure, but a smooth middle-to-end where the flavor moves from green apples to rasberries. Never too sweet, however, as there is a note of oak throughout. The ending is surprisingly strong for a $10 bottle. I feel cheered and refreshed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the Gewurz--I had heard good things. Hope the work went as painlessly as possible.