Friday, January 12, 2007

Which 20th century leader made this threat:


...if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline, because without such discipline no progress is made, no leadership becomes effective. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property to such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership which aims at a larger good... I assume unhesitatingly the leadership of this great army of our people dedicated to a disciplined attack upon our common problems....in the event that the [legislative body] shall fail to take one of these two courses, and in the event that the national emergency is still critical, I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. I shall ask the [legislative body] for... the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe.

Answer here.

On another note, last weeks New Yorker was, in my humble opinion, the best in a long time. The essay(s) by Milan Kundera was great. As was Malcom Gladwell's article about Enron and the difference between mysteries and puzzles. There was something else I liked, but unfortunately the New Yorker takes their articles down each week.

No comments: