So we successfully create a time machine to go back before we got into this whole mess. For what date do we set the dial?
2002 - before we began mobilizing to invade (when Saddam did not have WMD but apparently only didn't because of our inhumane sanctions)?
ca 1996 - between the first Gulf War and Saddam's renewed attempts to build a WMD program, while Saddam was crushing his opposition?
1991 - at the end of the first Gulf War when Bush Sr. and the world public was horrified by the unbelievable destruction and loss of life US forces were inflicting on retreating Iraqi troops, and Bush Sr. called off the assault?
1990 - before the first Gulf War, as Saddam was readying his invasion of Kuwait and potential invasion of Saudi Arabia?
1988 - when Iraq was the enemy of our enemy, and we tolerated Saddam's gassing of his own population?
1932 - when the British installed a monarchy?
1918 - when the British artificially partitioned the region out of the Ottoman Empire?
1535 - when the Turks invaded and took the land?
632 - When Muhammad died and his followers split into what are now the Sunni and Shia?
570 - When Muhammad was born?
I'm just saying, I'm not certain that even if we had a time machine, we would really know what to do to turn a terminally f-ed up part of the world into Sweden. It's not like things were hunky-dory for Iraqi citizens before the US invaded. How do you stop people who have wanted to kill eachother for 1400 years from wanting to do it now? What, you give them a stack of DVDs, a Big Mac and an iPod? I used to think so, but I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Obviously we're not doing anything right at the moment.
I used to be an optimist.
Please forgive any errors in this post. I'm at work and in a hurry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Just a minor quibble - for a period including, most notably, the late 1500s-mid 1600s, the Swedes were an aggressive and expanionist kingdom that participated in religious wars with its Catholic neighbors.
I'm beginning to develop a theory that human societies occasionally develop an uncontrollable urge to engage in aggressive wars when their populace or leaders forget just how dangerous and risky the last war was--and that in some ways, it may be better to vent the pressure and let nations fight wars to exhaustion than to let the urge to submit long-running disputes to the judgment of arms simmer beneath an outwardly imposed peace.
Post a Comment