Sunday, August 28, 2005

Once again, things fall apart

It was really good to see you too. Hong Kong was fun: I keep meaning to post some photos that I took there. Maybe later tonight. I agree with you about the city as theme park: the limited knowledge that I have about cities leads me to believe that suburbs are evil and drain the life from cities like some kind of bloated parasite with a backyard, a lawn, and 2.5 children. I actually appreciated how Hong Kong had integrated its homes into the city; apartments on top of shopping centers on top of street-side restaurants and snack shops, cramming row on row of people and buildings into a severely limited space. It might have made some people claustrophobic, but to me it was just a city. They had a pretty cool transit system, too.

You're not an immigrant outsider, though. You know express from local. You know how to find the MTA transit museum. People like us have preferences like buying the lox from Zabar's but the bagels from H&H. Just because you stereotype neatly is no reason (as I should know) why you should actually conform to it.

Switching subjects, this is certainly a fascinating world, but my tendency to quote from Things Fall Apart has not lessened. It's a world where a headline can almost honestly state "Robot Attacks Japanese Prime Minister", a world where 646-lbgiant catfish are on the way out, where a major city can be wiped off the face of the earth in one day by catastrophic, random chance. I looked up the other day to find that almost without my noticing it, I had managed to accumulate a stockpile of MREs, firearms, and ammunition. What am I preparing for? To eat, drink, and be merry, I suppose.

Photos from Hong Kong on Monday, I promise.

No comments: