I hope Hong Kong's been fun. It was really good to see you again in New York. Good luck on making your way back here. I feel like the immigrant outsider here myself sometimes--I walk through my neighborhood and wonder if other people see me as another transplanted yuppie/hipster. (I certainly fit the age bracket.) Of the approximately 30 people at my office, there seem to be only two who were born in New York (grew up there, too) and live there now. And this is an organization dedicated to making New York a more livable city.
So, I guess I'm a bit of a xenophobe. Well, maybe not. It'll depend what the newcomers (specifically those who could/do fall into the hipster/yuppie categories) do here. If they stay and raise a new generation of natives (like me and you), excellent. But if they're just here for their crazy post-college years, sowing their wild oats, living the cliche dream and waiting until they meet the right person, marry, move to the suburbs, and raise their kids, that's no good. That's not building a real community or significantly strengthening the city's base. That's the city as a themepark, and that's bullshit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment