So I was up last night at about 3:00 a.m. and Highlander II: The Quickening came on (immediately after the allegorical and under-rated Starship Troopers).
As I was watching it, I realized that I had no fucking clue what was going on. Now, I'm not a stupid man. I graduated from a top-tier law school and I graduated with honors from my undergraduate institution. At the very least, I'm smart enough to function in a world gone crazy. But as I was watching Highlander II, a movie I've probably seen 3 or 4 times before, I couldn't figure out a single thing that was happening, especially in the context of Highlander I.
If they're aliens, how come Sean Connery has a Scottish accent but his name is Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez? How exactly does an explosion make MacLeod young again? Since when is Macleod a scientist? What the hell is Virginia Madsen doing? Does the first Highlander count for anything, because I swear there was no mention of the planet Zeist in the first one.
This movie has no exposition. Literally, the second or third scene is Michael Ironside popping up on the planet Zeist and telling two bird-looking guys to go to Earth to kill MacLeod. That's it. Nothing remotely expository, which I don't necessarily need for a film, but I don't ever recall a motivation popping up anywhere else in the film. It's just aliens, decapitations, and Sean Connery -- granted, that sounds like an awesome set-up, yet it fails here.
Someone, anyone, please explain Highlander II to me and what the hell it's doing in the continuity.
Saturday, June 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm not sure there is a continuity. Have you seen Highlander III? It'll only confuse you more.
Don't worry, I automatically write-off every single movie that doesn't have Sean Connery in it as being utterly inferior.
Post a Comment