Tuesday, December 02, 2008

1914

Why is it that when India sends Pakistan demands to arrest and turn over fugitives, my mind goes to Austria-Hungary demanding that Serbia, among other things, arrest people who plotted to kill Archduke Franz Ferdinand?

The 1914 version ended *really well* (by which I mean the exact opposite, of course); this time, both sides have nuclear weapons. Crap.

1 comment:

Josh said...

You know, I saw the breaking news about the attack on Mumbai in a deli down in DUMBO; the one that has the large frosted pane of glass in the entryway commemorating the victims of September 11th. Sort of a saddening juxtaposition: a memorial to the victims of yesterday's urban terror set against the continuation of urban terror today. I share your lack of optimism with regard to tensions between India and Pakistan. Reading a history of American aid to Afghanistan through the Pakistani intelligence services isn't terribly encouraging either. Basically it doesn't seem like there's much the civilian government of Pakistan can do to rein in the ISI.