Monday, August 13, 2007

Dear D.C.,

So this is goodbye. Thanks for the summer. Though we had our differences, you were a great host. I admit that some of the things you do strike me as strange, like the way people sit on the floors in your subway stations and trains. (Honestly--gross.) And it was irritating how you don't seem to have inexpensive, nonchain barber shops. You don't make it easy to split a cab, either. In general, you're a bit pricier than I'd like. (You see, in New York, I know where to find cheaper things.)

But complaints aside, I kinda like you. You're pretty good looking, in buildings and in people. (Not so much the tourists, though--sorry.) You're lively and busy--chock full of my friends and peers, and the only place I've ever seen a New Orleans-style brass band playing on the street, and I've spent a week in New Orleans. You're also walkable, accessible, and navigable. Even the heat wasn't as bad as rumors made it out to be.

We should hang out again. Maybe next summer?

Seth

No comments: