Saturday, September 09, 2006

Tokaji--Rex Vinorum

I wholeheartedly support Tokaji Aszu as a dessert wine. It was the first wine I ever gave to Tracy; and the previous occupant, a Hungarian, happened to leave a bottle in the fridge. It has a wonderful Hungarian backstory to it: popes and kings used to swill the stuff by the hogshead, or compete to give their pet philosopher the finest glass available.

Tokaji is divided based on how many containers, or puttonyos, go into the cask the bottles are drawn from. The one in the fridge now is three puttonyos, which is a little bitter for me--I prefer up around five puttonyos, which is probably a bit sweet for most people. Here, though, I feel like I can taste a bit too much of the noble rot, a benign fungus that concentrates the sugars in the wine.

All in all, it's a decidedly decadent life I'm living right now, sipping my Tokaji upon the tiger rug Tracy's parents have given us.

No comments: